The Strike School Trustees are in the process of building an online historical archive of available materials related to Tom and Annie Higdon and the Burston School Strike.
This is very much on going, and new sources are turning up all the time. Where material has not, or cannot be obtained from any third parties holding them, the ‘archives’ page (under archives) will list their location.
Where the original, or copy of the original is available free of any copyright restrictions, it is intended to be made available for viewing and downloading here.
- Photostat of the school logbook from 1st April 1914 recording that only six children were present in the morning and afternoon….’The others are on strike.’
- A ‘Candlestick’ is an East Anglian name for a circular walk. On the morning of 1st April 1914, and then again in the afternoon, the children marched around village in support of the Higdons.
- A campaigning and fund raising flyer issued by the National Committee of the Burston School Strike and Evicted Glebe Tenants.
- The Burston School Strike and Glebe Tenants’ National Committee paper.
- Letter to the TUC’S Parliamentary Committee requesting that deputation be met from National Committee
- An ‘Appeal to all Trade Unions’ made by the National Committee
- Letter to the TUC’S Parliamentary Committee requesting that information about the Burston School Strike be allowed to be circulated at Congress.
- The Eastern Daily Press obituary of Annie Higdon, 1939
- As part of the centenary commemorations SERTUC’s East of England Trade Union Network launched a fundraising appeal.
- As part of the centenary commemorations SERTUC (Southern & Eastern Trade Union Congress) commissioned and produced three short education films and supporting tutor notes.(Links to the films can be found under ‘SERTUC Resources’)
- SERTUC’s official report on the centenary commemorations.
- The Strike School Account Sheet May 31st 1919 to August 31st 1920, Part A (Cover)
- The Strike School Account Sheet May 31st 1919 to August 31st 1920, Part A (Account)
- The Strike School Account Sheet August 31st 1920 to August 31st 1920, Part A (Cover)
- The Strike School Account Sheet August 31st 1920 to August 31st 1922, Part A (Account)